Log in

INSIGHT for parents

Log in

Support to keep you safe and well when you are away from school

23 March 2020

Dear Students

Re: Support to keep you safe and well when you are away from school

When schools are closed, it can be a worrying time for young people and parents for lots of reasons. You might be experiencing problems at home, be worried about your education, struggling with your mental health or lots of other issues that young people deal with daily. This letter is to point out how you and your family can access some support whilst school is closed.

Safeguarding or Child Abuse:

The vast majority of you live in happy, caring homes. However, if there is ever a time when you don’t feel safe at home or if you know someone else who is not safe at home then you need to know that you can contact people who can help.

Some young people may be exposed to a thing called child abuse. This is a term used to describe a range of ways in which people, usually adults, harm children and young people. Often the adult is someone known and trusted by the child or young person, such as a parent or a relative. The abuse can be physical injury, sexual abuse, emotional harm or neglect. Remember that abuse is never the child’s fault.

It’s important that you tell someone if this happens to you or a friend. Victims of child abuse should talk to a friend or adult you can trust. You can speak to a social worker by calling your local authority.  You can see which Local Authority you live in by looking at which council name is written on your recycle bin at home.

North Tyneside Council
Front Door

0345 2000 109

Monday to Thursday
8.30am – 5.00pm

 8.30am – 4.30pm

Out of hours
0191 200 6800

Newcastle City Council
Initial Response Service

0191 277 2500

Monday to Thursday
8.45am – 5.00pm

Out of hours

0191 278 7878


Northumberland County Council One Call
01670 622 930

Monday to Thursday
8.30am – 5.00pm

8.30am – 4.30pm

Out of hours
0345 600 5252

If you have an immediate concern and feel that a child is at risk of significant harm or danger please contact the police on 999.



Other useful helplines:

Childline is a counselling service for children and young people. You can contact ChildLine by calling 0800 11 11, send a message to Ask Sam and you can post messages to the ChildLine message boards. If you are feeling scared or out of control or just want to talk to someone you can contact ChildLine. Their website is

Acorns Project is for if you are worried about relationships and abuse you can text them a question and they will get back to you within our usual working hours. Text 07712 862 858, Telephone 0191 349 8366, Email or visit their website on

NSPCC – Child Protection Line This is the UK’s leading charity specialising in child protection and the prevention of cruelty to children. Their National Child Protection Helpline provides advice to adults and children about child protection concerns. You can phone them on 0808 800 5000 or visit their website at is an online counselling service that provides vulnerable young people, between the ages of 11 and 25, with advice and support for emotional or mental health problems. offers users a free, confidential, safe and anonymous way to access help.

Mental Health Apps:

To look after your mental health it would be worth visiting the websites below which may be of use to you. Some have excellent apps that will help you with mindfulness, relaxation and coping with stress.

Dreamy Kid

Stop, Breathe, Think

Smiling Mind



Take care and remember that school remains open for the moment so you can contact us on 0191 285 1000 if you need to speak to somebody, or read the information below from Mr Norbury.


Mr Chahal   Mr Snowdon    Mrs Milburn    Mr Norbury

Designated Safeguarding Leads


Mr Norbury

Student Wellbeing Leader

(Years 9-11)



Students often come to talk to me in the Student Support Base if they are concerned about themselves or a friend. Alternatively they may talk to another member of staff that they trust and then, as I am one of the safeguarding teachers, I talk to the student and try to help them get the support they need in a way that suits them.

School is one of the best places for students to get reliable advice and support about a range of issues and we still want to be help you during the current period of closure so please feel free to email me about non-urgent issues and I will get back to you when I can.

I will try to deal with whatever you tell me in a way that you agree with but if I think that you or someone else is at risk of harm, I have to report it to other people.  However, if I can keep it confidential, I will try my best to do so!  And if I do have to pass something on, I will talk to you first about how I am going to do it, so there should be no surprises!

I can arrange to call you when I am in school if you don’t want to put details in an email or I may suggest someone else that you can talk to.

Please remember, we can’t be available ‘24/7’ but there are plenty of other good sources of advice and support listed in the letter above if you need it when we are not available.

Mr Norbury

“Happy to help”! (Well, try to anyway!)


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook