Log in

INSIGHT for parents

Log in

Health and Social Care


What interests should I have if I want to take this course?

You should have an interest in working with people, helping and caring for others. This course offers a broad basis of study of the health and social care sector, including:

  • Human development
  • Working in the health and social care sector
  • Caring for individuals and meeting their needs
  • Disease and illness and the impact on the human body

What will I learn about?

To achieve the Extended Certificate you will need to complete a total of 36O Guided Learning Hours (GLH). The units studied are:

Unit 1: Human Lifespan and Development 
(90 GLH examined unit)

Unit 2: Working in Health and Social Care 
(120 GLH examined unit)

Unit 6: Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs 
(90 GLH coursework unit)

Unit 18: Physiological Disorders and their care
(60 GLH coursework unit)

How long is the course?

The Level 3 BTEC National Extended Certificate is a two year course equivalent to one A level once completed.

How will I be assessed?

You will be assessed through a combination of course work and examinations. Examined units are assessed externally and coursework units are internally assessed. Evidence gathered for coursework will include written reports prepared through carrying out research or analysis of case studies. 58% of the course is assessed through examined units and 42% coursework.

What Teaching and Learning methods will be used?

A variety of teaching methods will be used to enable you to complete each unit studied. For example:

  • Working independently and as part of a team
  • Completing short tasks and longer projects
  • Trips to health and social care settings
  • Researching relevant topics using the internet and text books
  • Applying theory learned in class to relevant case

What minimum qualifications will I need to start the course?

You will need a 4 grade in English or a Pass in a Level 2 vocational course in the subject area.

What can I do when I complete my qualifications?

The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as contributing to meeting admission requirements for many relevant courses. When studied alongside other A level or Level 3 courses students may wish to go on to study Nursing, Primary Education, Social Work or similar courses at university.
How can I find out more information?

If you have any further questions please contact Miss Johnston in The Social Sciences Department.